Monday 31 January 2011

TGOC 2012 - Route option No.2: Morven to Montrose

Well, just roughed out another route option for TGOC 2012 and it looks good apart from the Inverness stretch. Be interested to hear from anyone that followed the Great Glen Way into Inverness and what the walking was like. Should I try to avoid the city entirely? Is it a must do?

Looks like around the same mileage as my earlier effort of around 180 but I have yet to tot it all up.

I'm using Memory Map to lay down the route which I can transfer to my iPhone using OutdoorsGB software I mentioned earlier coupled with the Internet for bothy research and Scottish Hill Tracks for the basic routes between Glens.

Google Search is great for bothy research as you can select images only and get up-to-date shots of bothies and their condition, size and suitability. It's also worth looking at those lodges classified as 'ruins' on OS or Harvey mapping. They can, with care, make excellent shelters with the prospect of many a ghost story which would doubtless stir the imagination of the likes of the Peewiglet herself.

Google Peewiglet too as she has stomped the TGOC a good few times.

The backpackinglight.co.uk "outdoors station" podcast followed the TGOC 2010 with two roving podcasters and is a superb source of info on eateries, routes, gear and ideas for the challenge.

I'm now impatiently waiting for September and the October issue of TGO.

Now to dream of the Strath Nethy march....




- Posted using BlogPress

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carl.

    I have visited Inverness a few times, it's a nice city and well worth a visit. I can't comment on the Great Glen Way as I have only walked a small section from Invergarry to Fort Augustus. There should be lots of info on the net though...try this for starters.
    http://imsodave.blogspot.com/
    Superb LJOG account by Dave Greenwood.
    You do seem to be going the long way round if you're intending to finish at Montrose. Have you looked at the Corrieyairack Pass option from Fort Augustus? Then onwards to Glen Feshie (stunning) and Braemar...
    You have lots of time to get your planning sorted but there are so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave, thanks again.

    I have looked at that option but fancied a trip through G. Affric which takes me halfway up Loch Ness (Drumnadrochit) so Inverness seemed better than doublebacking.
    I've got about ten routes to have a look at so, given that much of my enjoyment is had in the planning, I should be in for a good year!

    Take care,

    Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl
    Have you thought about taking Gordon Menzies boat across Loch Ness from Drum? Then over the Monadhliath Mts to Aviemore, I did this last year and can recommend it highly, in fact if I get on again next year I plan doing it again.
    Glen Affric is lovely btw and the campsite at Cannich is a really good one.

    ReplyDelete