Sunday 16 January 2011

Route option number 1, some helpful links too.

As is typical with me, waiting for the moment when I know that I have been accepted before doing any more planning is completely out of the question, so, whilst half watching Prince Caspian I have laid out my first route in a wee bit more than draft form. 

Sheil Bridge to St Cyrus - Low Level Route

You will see that I am writing as though acceptance on to TGO Challenge 2012 is a 'given' so forgive me for this, but it does save me always saying things like "if I am accepted" and "all being well" etc.  Besides, who would reject an application from such a wonderful, well-seasoned hillwalker like me?  Who indeed?

Given that TGOC 2012 WILL be my first, I have decided to stick to a low level route on pretty much all of the challenge.  All, that is, except for a foray onto Lochnagar, a hill that I need to climb at some point to see where the water comes from that made my delicious introduction to the Land of the Single Malt - Royal Lochnagar.  Might just bottle some for a souvenir!

So, there are a couple of sites I used to get this far:

Andy Howell's - Planning TGOC pages - www.andyhowell.info
Section Hiker - TGOC 2010 pages - http://sectionhiker.com/tgo-challenge-route-plan-version-10/


Andy Howell's site came to me via Backpackinglight's podcasts about TGOC 2010.  Very useful,especially the recommendation of the Lonely Planet Guide - Walking in Scotland.  The book was already on my shelf and had been opened once by me to recce the Lairig Ghru and Chalamain Gap when I first started hillwalking.  It's now going to help me put together my other route options.  Oh, and Scottish Hill Tracks won't be long before it lands on my 'mat. Thanks Mr Howell. 

Section Hiker came to me via Google when I was struggling with laying down the Fort Augustus to Kingussie stretch.  Thanks to Mr Philip Werner.

Tara chucks, off to beddy bye-byes to dream about droving tracks and military roads....

2 comments:

  1. Carl - One note on my route from Fort Augustus to Kingussie. There is a very long road walk, about 20 miles if I recall, between the end of the Correyairick Pass and The Mondaliath Hotel in Laggan. If you can find an alternate off-road route, I'd advise it. I met two challengers along the way who'd brought luggage trollies (the wheeled kind) to pull their packs on when they walked it. Here's my actual trip report with the details: http://sectionhiker.com/tgo-challenge-trip-report-part-1/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip - I've moved on somewhat since then. Still going to St Cyrus but starting at Strathcarron, and going over Loch Ness and then the Monadh Liath, Kincraig, Feshie and then Braemar (naturally) to the sea at St Cyrus.
      You picked a really great route through the Highlands and I hope I'll get the chance to do it again another year and maybe I'll take in a section or two of your line across Scotland.

      Found out today that I am Standby No.9 so far. Here's to hoping...

      Cheers,

      Carl

      Delete