Friday 4 May 2012

The Stuff of 177 Miles

I know there have been many posts about challenge kit, and several probably for this year.  I may not be adding anything new, anything interesting, but I wanted to illustrate here how my kit choice has changed since my first post about my kit here.  I haven't put weights in because I am bored with weights and measures.  This is the stuff I have decided I will need.


This is Kitlist v2.0




So a list it is - I'll go roughly left to right as though following text in a book:


One pair of trekmates liner gloves (silk) 
One pair of karrimor outer gloves (synthetic)
One midgie headnet
Two standard buffs
Drybag with loo kit
Bag of tablets (various)
First Aid Kit
Spoon (long handled)
Stove/Pot combined
2 x 100g gas canisters
Brew kit
Silicon collapsible cup
Waterproof Overtrousers
Down Jacket
Little stow-away sil-nylon bag
Maps (all of them - the whole way across)
Contact lens kit (including mirror)
Tub of smash
Bag of muesli
Small folding knife
Small headtorch
Small tentpeg (should be in the tent bag)
Compass & spare (not in case it breaks, in case I lose it!)
Simple GPS Unit
Hygiene kit
 - Small bar of soap
 - Tea Tree Oil
 - Small anti-perspirant (I know everyone will smell at the end, but I will smell slightly different)
 - Midge repellent
 - Sunscreen
 - Toothpaste & toothbrush
Gadget charger
Nokia mobile (with a seemingly endless battery life)
1 x Nokia battery (lord knows why, the original will never run out)
Food (4 days worth)
Bubblewrap toner bags (one for a meal cosy, the other for my kindle)
Tiny backup stove - for woodburning
Tent
Sit-mat
Toilet trowel
Wiping sponge (condensation control and spillages)
Stuff sacks (for segregating kit - like you need to have that explained)
Notepad & pen
Sleeping quilt
Sleeping pad
Water bottles
Whisky bottle
One Balaclava
Two pairs pants
Two pairs of thin day socks
One pair warm night socks
Pair of windproof bottoms - lightweight
e-Reader
Two baselayer-tees
One windproof jacket - lightweight
Trekking poles
Not in the photo
Waterproof jacket (old XCR one)
TGO Fleece (hasn't arrived yet)
Camera (I was using it)
Smartphone (it was charging - like they all probably are, most of the time)
Smartphone batteries (x3)
Rucksack - 44l
Chest pack - 4l




So that's it.  Everything I need - apart from what I will be wearing which will be a pair of trousers, underpants, socks, tee-shirt - and probably all the warm and wet weather gear from the above!


Go on, slate me for taking too much, and leaving stuff out - whatever, but most of all....


....PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND!!!!!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. You can never take too much for you.
    You can take too much for someone else.
    But they are not you.
    I get people say things like you don't need 2 of those.
    YES I DO.
    I would rather have too much than too little.
    Especially the Whiskey.
    Have a good walk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Andrew - enjoy the hills from Morar - they look grand!

      I'll chink a glass with you somewhere, probably.

      Delete
  2. I love a good kit list. I spent a little time enjoying cross-referencing the list with the photograph. Our youngest daughter thinks the we all need councelling for our obsession, but wait till she Challenges with me, then she'll understand!

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will learn. ;-)

      Got to carry your SmarTube all the way to bleedin' Strathcarron too. Weighs a ton, that! ;;;---)))

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Why not take a micro fibre cloth rather than a sponge? Much more effective for mopping and can double as a towel. Also I use hand sanitiser rather than deodorant. Very effective although it needs to be applied twice a day and has double use. I'm taking more spare clothes than you because I'm a glamper! Looking good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said quite clearly "DON'T MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND". ;-)

      Good idea re the sanitiser though. I use a dilution of tea tree oil as a sanitiser, wound antiseptic too. That's multi-tasking!
      Look forward to the fashion show, Robin.

      Delete
  4. (Please excuse the typing errors. It's early in the morning and under duress as eldest son prepares and disappears on practice D of E exped...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer a sponge for wiping down wet tents etc. More absorbent and easier to squeeze out than a cloth, I'd say

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list and great account of your TGOC adventure. To hell with what others might say about your kit list as it's a very personal thing. Just one question: what is the quilt you used? I've tried to identify from your photo but I'm not recognising the logo (its in that grey stuff sack left of center I'm guessing...)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the one Elton. It is a Golite Ultimate 3 Quilt. Not sure if it is still available but I swear by it. Very warm for me and works well with the POE ether thermo 6 sleeping mat.

    This kit comes with me more or less every time I go backpacking now. Apart from the fact that I use a Trailstar instead of the Moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers Carl. I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a quilt in my quest to lighten up my kit but just about convinced myself to stick with a mummy bag.

    I have a Trailstar myself and though I've had only the one trip out in it I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete