Sunday 19 February 2012

The Larks ascending...

I was almost going to miss out on getting a walk in this weekend, until I had a brainwave last night and decided to get up early this morning and go for a quick blast as fast as I could (with the pack of course).  No photos this time as it was purely a leg stretch.  You will have to imagine the crystal clear skies, and wonderful low sunshine, warming the frosty earth.


I'm 10 minutes walk from the Stour Valley Path (that's Path, not Way) so I jumped on that for a bit and back over the farmland into town for about six miles at full pelt.  I hardly felt the pack, which made me smile as I took a gamble based on advice received from numerous challengers/backpackers.  I bought a lightweight pack from Lowe Alpine, the Crag Attack 42.  It's smashing, although it misses out on a mesh pocket for wet stuff, but that's a small price to pay.  It fits nice and weighs less than a kilo and I can't pack much in it, which in turn means I can't pack too much!


Anyway, this walk - as I mentioned - passes through farmland and that is why I named this post "The Larks ascending...".
For the first time I can recall this year, I heard Skylarks chirruping and rising from all directions.  I'd forgotten about this spot for seeing 'larks, and it is truly brilliant for them.  I managed to get a good view of a pair courting on the ground, before doing their distinctive pursuit flights.  All the while, many others were suspended from the sky like little model aircraft on strands of cotton hanging from my bedroom ceiling.  They truly never stop singing.


So here is what Ralph and Nicola make of those 'larks....



If you are interested, I got round in 1hr 30min including the pauses to take my fizans off my pack and also to admire those larks.  I was back in time to get the kids (and Mrs M) up and make them breakfast.  Lazy tikes, my lot. 

And for those who are into the boot v trainer debate, my New Balance 570 AT's felt lovely - old and knackered, but lovely.

Night folks.  Hope you enjoyed the 'larks.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pleasure of course. You can thank Mrs M for that. She introduced me to the world of classical music. Used to be a raving hip-hop ganster-rap type bloke (teenager).

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting for the larks to put in an appearance, then I know the osprey and the swifts aren't far behind and spring will well and truly be sprung!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful Louise, you'll end up coming out as a bit of a twitcher! You avoided it by not mentioning any passerines. DOH! ;)

      Delete
  3. I try not to let too much slip...

    ReplyDelete