Friday 18 November 2011

1 in 420+

That's what I was.  

I found my fate today by both letter and a leak on the challenge forum.  Ok so not exactly a leak as it was a post from John Manning himself.  

I was one of the 420+ people to find out that I am on the standby list.

I had prepared myself for disappointment, expecting not to get on but I have to say I was strangely close to tears.  It was odd, I guess despite openly and outwardly readying myself for the possibility of a 'No' I already had book my place.  In truth, I fully EXPECTED to get on and not getting on was a complete surprise.  

I have lit the tinder of a few new friendships which I hoped to fuel in the coming months, which I can and will still do.  BUT I WANTED TO GET A 'YES'.

I had promised my wife, who really wasn't cherishing 2 weeks without me (although I would have thought she would have had the opposite reaction), that I would withdraw from the standby list.  But I just couldn't resist asking John 'Outdoors' Manning where I stand on that list, so that is what I have just done.  

I don't know what I will do with the number, I suppose it depends what number it turns out to be.

I do have a plan to finish off my round of Wainwrights - I should be able to do 62 in a year if I make a few concerted forays so that is what I plan to do with 2012.

But what if I am number 1, 2, 3......10, 11, 12 on the list?

5 comments:

  1. Carl. The whole selection process seems a bit flawed to me. I have been fortunate in 5 of 6 applications which is a lucky percentage that has worked in my favour. It is too much of a lottery in my opinion. I don't know the answer because it is such a popular event but I am sure there is a better way other than drawing names out of a hat.Maybe an option would be to automatically drop to the standby list if you have been successful in 2 or 3 consecutive applications? Sorry you didn't get on Carl, it is a fabulous event and I know how much you wanted to get on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl: Don't do anything hasty until you hear back form Cuzzin John. If you have ANY number below 30 on the standby list you will definitely be going on the Challenge and you can start booking things up and planning properly.

    Trust me.

    Don't give up yet. I hope you have a good number

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks chaps, I'm not seeking sympathy - honest!

    In discussions with Mrs M now. She is lovely, ever so lovely. Wonderful in fact. Nae, stupendously magnificent. ;0)

    Ps. well done Mr Sloman for getting on. I'm just about to nip over to your blog to have my nose rubbed in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, I was absolutely crushed when we didn't get on the first time. Waiting on the stand by list was excrutiating, we were numbers 61 and 62 (I think) in the new draw system. By the cut off point, we'd got down to 5 and 6, ARRGH! We walked for a few days anyway in Challenge country and managed to meet the likes of The Slowman, Andy, Laura, Phil and a good few others.
    So glad I was able to try again this year and got on. I won't mention 2012...
    It does help when you have a truly wonderful other half, I have one of those!
    Good luck Carl.

    ReplyDelete