Thursday 5 January 2012

Standby Number 15... ....have your route ready!

I contacted John Manning yesterday and got a super quick response informing me of my progress up the standby list.  
I have moved from number 17 to number 15 since 18th November.   John tells me he is awaiting something in the way of progress himself.  His second child's impending arrival is currently 3 days overdue.  I hope you will join me in wishing John and his family a safe and swift delivery of the latest in the Manning clan.


Ok so getting back to the standby list, it's not exactly a massive jump but it is progress nonetheless and it certainly seems like I'll be making the trip north in May.


Confident of getting to number 0 on the list, I have been tweaking my route a bit with a little help from my new found challenge friends and I have to say that their feedback seems to have made it all the better.  I have got a rough idea of where my overnights will be.  I have been encouraged to be flexible in this regard, and to ensure that I have some B&B numbers punched into my phone should the need for such a pick-me-up arise.  


I am leaning firmly away from the Lairig Ghru and towards Glen Feshie,  mainly due to the fact that I have been through the L. Ghru a few times already and want the Challenge to be something of a voyage of discovery.  Its also due to the fact that I then don't have to bother with an official FWA, although given the weather that some experienced in 2011, and the feisty nature of the winds of late, I might have a wee back up plan tucked up my sleeve, just in case.


I'm still going over the Monadhliath but a little bit further south to avoid the Dunmaglass wind turbine construction works.


Braemar features for a couple of days with the main purpose of finding some of the folk who have been helpful to me so I can buy them a beer in thanks.  Up to Loch Callater Lodge maybe for another pause over night, or maybe to press on over Jocks Road.


I've stuck with Jocks Road because I am curious about it, and like high passes.  I have the FWA for this route out to Glen Gelder to Glen Muick before rejoining my original route at Tarfside.  


From there I will make my way to St Cyrus via North Water Bridge, following the many challengers who have gone this way before, some of whom will doubtless be doing so again this year.


I've made a significant improvement to my pack weight, bringing it down from well over 15kg, to less than 12kg with 3 days food on board.  Base weight is more like 9kg now and it does feel liberating.  I'll test out the revised kit set-up this weekend and see how I get on.


Be great to hear what you folk are up to, so do post a comment if you can spare the time.


Night night, off to dream of long days and short nights in the hills.  


I'll leave you with a couple of pictures that make me smile, alot.


Me on Ben Hope for the Summer Solstice in 2008

Me and the wonderful Mrs Mynott on The Cairnwell in April 2008

14 comments:

  1. Carl, you are going to have a ball! Well done with your pack weight, you will feel the difference. See you somewhere in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louise.

    Just been to tescos - add a kilo for chocolate.

    We'll probably be able to have a beer on Thursday night at the Strathcarron. Strictly for nerve calming purposes of course.

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer is very good as a muscle relaxant as well. You should be nicely limbered-up at the start of your Challenge. Take twice as much beer for the effect to be liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be in need of something to calm the nerves if last year is anything to go by! Might pop out to dip my toe first, if the tide's in...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're all set ... all you need to do now is make your way up and off that stand-by list. I'm sure the list will start moving quite quickly now.

    As for the route, I reckon we might bump into you somewhere between Drumnadrochit and Braemar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can walk over the Monadhliath without a FWA but not the Lairig Ghru . I am still puzzled at the logic of what is a FWA myself. Anyway you'll soon be on and firing up a Jetboil for a brew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gayle - I have everything crossed! Hope I do bump into the pair of you, but I don't fancy my chances of keeping up. The encounter will probably be brief, with me in the rear view mirror until Braemar!

    Martin - Yeah its a bit odd that. I'm handy with a compass and all that (cue Carl getting lost on day one) but I would have thought the ML would have needed an FWA. Mind you I am glad it doesn't - what a pain up the khyber that would be?
    Oh, and what a dude you are - I hope the JB will be more efficient than my pocket rocket. I'm struggling to get a boil out of it after just two days - max 3 litres.

    Off to write up my weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise - I'll be buggered if I'm dipping my toe in the beer. You can but I am not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A tide of beer! I'll drown ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carl - It's a common belief that because we walk far we must walk fast. We walk at a perfectly normal pace, so if we do bump into you you'll be stuck with us for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  11. were are you on the list my mate,have you moved up the pecking order yet to be a part of this illustrious group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still 15, but I'm not asking John Manning (TGO Challenge coordinator) every day, he might get a bit miffed - especially given that his wife has just had their second nipper.

      I'll check in again next month. I'm sure he won't mind that.

      Delete