Thursday 20 October 2011

204...

...days to go until TGO 2012.

The suspense is becoming difficult to bear.  It's great to read some of the accounts of 2011 which are popping up on Twitter and throughout the blogosphere, and if you haven't checked out http://www.doodlecat.com/ then I suggest you do right away.  What a smashing little TGOC portal it is.  It is currently serving as a great way to fill the time spent waiting for the nod from Mr J Manning at Challenge HQ.

I was trying to get a message to Mick/Gayle of Gayleybird Lejog & K2CW fame as it seems as though they walked almost exactly the same route as I have worked out for TGOC next year and I wondered about some of the do's and don'ts on the way.  If anyone can get a message to them, I would love for one of them to get in touch so I could pick their brains a wee bit.  Perhaps they have a twitter name or something?

Alan Sloman has been helpful on the first night's intended camp for me, citing Meallan Bhuidhe as a spot with good views, and a lot of deer!  He also suggested that the area near Pait Lodge might be a good and common spot to pitch, with the usual courtesy to be afforded to the occupants.

It's stuff like that that I obsess about when planning these sorts of trips.  Yet when I listen to, or read the things that the likes of Chris Townsend write / say about long journeys on foot, and the very flexible plans they make, letting the walk make the decisions etc, I am very envious.  I guess that I should obsess less about the detail, and just make sure that I cover a minimum distance each day to ensure that I don't take too long getting to the East coast.  I've got to get into that really long distance vibe.

I still can't stop thinking about it - it's a big thing for me, the longest walk - although probably not the most demanding - that I will have attempted by a factor of 2, and I am anxious and excited in equal measure.

When do we find out if we are in again???

Be great to hear if any of you have any anxieties about the challenge, its planning, anticipation etc.

Bye for now.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Carl

    Another great read that will make you feel more comfortable as a first timer, is Louise Evans' fine blog Louise'e Big Adventure which, if you read it from the start (highly recommended as it is mightily entertaining) portrays the anxieties and aspiratations of a first-time Challenger. Louise finally made it onto the Challenge without her other half, Dave, and managed to get across in some of the worst weather ever encountered on the Challenge.

    It's a brilliant read for anyone nervous about taking the Challenge on.

    She's also a bit of a star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alan, will take a proper look over the weekend. So many blogs, so little time to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carl,

    Sorry that I didn't see the comment that you'd left on my blog sooner. Blogger doesn't tell me about comments that are more than 2 weeks old, but waits for me to stumble across them.

    You're most welcome to ask any questions you like about the TGOC route we walked this year, and if I can answer them I will. I've left my email address in reponse to the comment you left on my blog.

    I second Alan's recommendation of Louise's TGOC blog from this year - an excellent and entertaining read.

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carl.

    My only advice would be don't be a slave to your route, it is rare that you will follow every step of the route and pitch your tent exactly where you planned to at the end of each day.

    Take your time, especially early on and if you see a cracking place to put your tent up short of your intended pitch then do so.

    Study your maps and look at alternatives to suit your fitness and the conditions, I have been known to take a FWA to a FWA on occasions!

    Hope you enjoy your planning as much as I do. I'm already looking at route options for 2013!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing better than a floor full of landrangers, is there? Dave, what you say about the camping early if the right spot materialises has struck a chord. Sound advice - thanks.

    Alan, have begun reading Louise's blog, I'm only up as far as the delivery of her Montane Anti-freeze - strangely the same one I have hanging on my coat rack right now. That's soon to be replaced by a PHD Yukon which I recently WON! Might keep the anti-freeze for painting. :-)

    Thanks Gayle, I've sent you an email, I'd really appreciate any help you may be able to offer.

    48 mins and it will be 200 days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    I popped by as I'd noticed you 'following' me, as soon as I get the gremlins sorted, I'll be following you!
    My friends are too kind, I am a complete novice in this walking world, but if my blog is of any use to you or any other new Challenger, I would be delighted!
    Main things I learnt this year would be make it your own Challenge, enjoy every moment, listen to your body (before it starts to scream at you) it's not a race. There are wonderful people all the way across so plenty of company when you want or need it.
    Gear is an incredibly personal issue, you'll have your favourite bits of kit like everyone else but it needs to suit you, noone else. Weight is an issue, but perhaps weigh it up with comfort. I wouldn't be without my Anti-freeze just to carry less!
    BTW, I'm hoping to start in Strathcarron, so maybe see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Louise, that'd be great - I like the idea of meeting completely new folk on TGO but it's also nice to have a bit of a head start and blogging and tweeting certainly seems to help.

    Any day now.......

    ReplyDelete