Tuesday 5 April 2011

Langdale Pikes and more gear...

So I'm recently back from a weekend in Great Langdale and a round of 8 or 9 fells.  The pupose of the trip was fourfold:

1) to test out my new X-Talons
2) to get back into the swing of using trekking poles
3) to get a bit more hill fit
4) to get a mountain fix - I'd been away from them since October 2010!

On point one I succeeded - The X-talon 240s are tremendous if you have good confidence on your feet and take care when placing your steps.  They got wet from time to time but the intial cold sensation was soon overridden by warmth in a similar way in which a wetsuit might work.  The fit was good, a little loose if wearing thin socks but I wasn't so they didn't rub at all.  The soles were a tad soft, but again with good placement this would not be a problem.  Comfort-wise - tremendous!  My feet suffered no soreness over the 10 miles and 8 summits despite taking the steep descent off the front of Loft Crag at the end of the day.  Scramble-wise, they again performed well but the rock was dry - I'd be interested if they remained as grippy in the wet - time will tell.  In all, these are serious contenders for TGOC 2012. 

On point two, I failed miserably.  The poles were strapped neatly to my pack on the approach to Dungeon Ghyll where I was to remove them and use during the ascent and also for the remainder of the days yomp. 
they stayed fixed to my pack and only came off when my companions needed a steady on the Loft Crag descent.  As I am planning to carry the poles to use as supports for my shelter system, I need to get used to using them more, or else carry some lighter shelter poles.

In terms of getting hill fit - it seems that after the initial removal of rustiness, my second wind kicked in and I felt fantastic all day long.  There was a smidge of "can't be bothered" when approaching the last of the peaks of the day but I soon overcame this purely psychological issue and bounced my way down the hill to the campsite.  I was surprised at feeling so fresh given that I had had no hill action and little exercise of any kind for practically 6 months!  I put a large amount of this down to a slightly slower pace than usual, coupled with the X-Talons minimalist nature.  I felt truly liberated!

Point four - well, the weather was supremely kind offering no sign of rain or any wind to impede our travel.  The temperature was cool to warm so no heat or cold to hamper us.  The mountains were so familiar, and so welcoming.  I could have stayed forever, but I couldn't - I have a desk job!

The Langdale Pikes are a great testing ground for both body and kit - beating the low lying countryside of suffolk and the billiard table like terrain of Fenland!

Turning to gear - I succumbed to my temptation once again and despite earlier comments on this blog, swapped my MACPAC Pursuit for a much more minimalist GoLite Jam, at 840g a full kilo lighter than the MACPAC.  On first impressions I suspect that this will serve me well as my main pack.  The weight (or lack thereof) does not seem to have taken an affect on durability and the style is nice.  plenty of pockets and straps.  I can't wait to test it properly.  I feel another outing coming on....

Anyway - I'm off to check my eBay sales to see if I can afford to by any more kit.

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment